This year the due to COVID-19 the RISE-2020 took place in a virtual form. Movement Neuroscience Laboratory presents three posters:

Validating a Real World Trail Making Task to Characterize Hidden Impairments in Young Stroke Survivors
Meghan MacDonald, Katrina Pollard, Alison Natter, Nathaniel Pinkes, Zachary Fagiani, Misha Pavel, Holly Jimison, Mathew Yarossi, Eugene Tunik

The effect of terminal visual and auditory feedback on reach-grasp coordination in haptic-free virtual reality
Zoe Mattingly, Yael Lissack, Madhur Mangalam, Mathew Yarossi, Mariusz P. Furmanek, Eugene Tunik

The effect of collider size on reach-grasp coordination in haptic-free virtual reality
Andrea Smith, Gladys Flores Romero, Madhur Mangalam, Mathew Yarossi, Mariusz P. Furmanek, Eugene Tunik

Here are the comments of our students who presented their posters during Virtual RISE-2020:

Andrea Smith (Undergrad, Bioengineering)

“I thought our RISE presentation went very well! The transition to online went well especially given the sudden change in circumstances. There were many resources from the RISE coordinators to help us with the transition, in addition to support from the MNL team. I think that the online format was an efficient and effective way to host the conference. We communicated our ideas while sharing our screen with the reviewers. I think the screen sharing feature was useful for communicating to the reviewers by providing helpful visuals. The reviewers were also able to ask real-time questions and provide feedback during the meeting similar to a face to face meeting. I was a little stressed about giving the presentation since it was online and my first time participating in RISE, but I was very happy with how it went. I think online conferences will become more and more common in the future since the online format provides all the benefits of an in-person meeting with the added feature of sharing a screen. I look forward to seeing how the conference will grow and change after this year’s event”.

Zoe Mattingly (Undergrad, Neuroscience)

“RISE-2020 was organized into fifteen-minute increments with the judges where they would enter the chat, you would give your pitch while screen sharing your poster, and then they had ten or so minutes for questions. I didn’t like the online format because you don’t have the opportunity to read the expressions of your judges and this made it feel less like we were having a real conversation. I don’t have experience with the in-person RISE event for comparison, but I imagine it’s easier to get into a groove when talking to many people over the course of the day. I was disappointed that we only had fifteen minutes, this also made it difficult to tune into friend’s projects. Organizing the presentation for the online format was stressful at the beginning when we weren’t familiar with MicrosoftTeams but those with RISE made it easier by holding pre-RISE meetings to answer questions and go over the new format. I was worried, however, with my internet’s inconsistent connectivity, that I would lose video or audio mid-presentation. I don’t imagine meetings and online conferences being the future after the pandemic restrictions are lifted because of how unreliable the internet can be”.